Monday, February 16, 2009

Sick Advice

So I have been sick...so I thought I would blog about it. After hours and hours of drinking water, broth, juice, soup and or any other type of liquid wanted to know why we have to take in liquid when we are sick.

Here is some advice I found:

Stay at home - You should avoid contact with others as much as possible and stay away from work or school while the infection is contagious. Why is it that you have to be sick before everyone is okay with you avoiding society? Why don't I get to stay home when I am well enough to do something useful? Why is it I only ask this question when I am sick?

Rest - You will probably feel very weak and tired until your temperature returns to normal. Resting will provide comfort and allow your body to use its energy to fight the infection. You can't do it all...if you are working, cleaning house or even chatting with friends it is likely that you are wasting energy that could help you feel better...but it my save your sanity.

Drink plenty of fluids - Extra fluids are needed to replace those lost through sweating due to fever. If your urine is dark, you need to drink more. Try to drink a glass of water or juice or an equal amount of some other fluid every hour while you are awake. Okay serious...8oz an hour. I try to drink 64oz a day anyway. But I probably double that when I am sick. First of all I am not awake as much and yet I am getting about 128oz...that is 16 hours of fluid...but I know I am not awake that much...which is why I think I feel a little like a sprinkler bursting at the connection than a person when I have been drinking fluids for a couple hours.

Take simple pain relievers such as ibuprofen (in doses as recommended on the package) to ease your muscle pain and bring down fever (unless your doctor says otherwise). I have had major body aches with this flu...in fact after overdoing it on Saturday night I felt like I could barely move...and even though I wanted to take more than perscribed I had self control and only took the recommend amount. I had a couple soda crackers with my meds...this helps my tummy and soaks up some of the massive amounts of water I take with my meds...because you are supposed to drink 'plenty of liquids'.

Here are some personal tidbits of advice.
1. Tell your mom...this just makes you feel better, who knows why.
2. Soup is just one way to get your liquids and a little bit of protein.
3. If anyone asks if they can help you could always ask for movie you haven't seen to save on your budget...since you aren't working and will have to use vacation time if you have any.
4. A good book, the audio version works if you really feel like all you can do is lay there (local libraries can be helpful with this)
5. Shower at least every other day...it will make you feel better, and you won't be so embarrassed when someone stops by to check up on you.

Feel better my friends!

1 comments:

Lindsay and Ron said...

I'm sorry that you don't feel well! Get better soon!