I now that I know some of your thoughts on blind dates lets talk about arranged marriage. In college I took a class on marriages across cultures and throughout the world. The concept of arrange marriages is a big part of many cultures. It seems that thoughts about marriage have changed over the years.
Marriage was about working together in order to survive. Not so long ago pioneers married in order to ensure their survival. Today marriage has been commercialized and for the unmarried the focus is on the wedding. This is probably because the world can guarantee a perfect wedding day...it most certainly can be purchased. So no matter where you in the economic market we begin to fantasize that if we can have romantic moments like in the movies and in the novels at the market then our happily ever after is ensured by the perfect wedding dress.
Arranged marriage is different than forced marriage, which is what people believe arranged marriage to be. Arranged marriage is taking the knowledge and opinions of the family and nobles in the community and making a decision on how two people can work together in order to survive.
Romantic love can certainly cycle through great marriages. I can come in long and short phases in weekend and moments. It is a spark that keeps things exciting. But it is not what keeps people together.
So what do you think...is there something to arranged marriage?
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Arranged Marriage
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
It's so strange to think of arranges marriages now. I used to be very against it. I had some very strong feelings about making my own choices and making my own mistakes. But, Life has a way of tempering me. And Now when I think of arranges marriages it is not with the vehement feeling of yore. I don't know that I would 'want' one. But I certainly see the value of one. And I would like to think that I could 'pick' my kids' partners. But maybe they wouldn't turn out any better than having them pick out their own mates. Sorry for the book!!
Post a Comment