Sunday, July 27, 2008

To Translate Correctly

Today in church we had a lesson on continuing revelation and the topic of translation of the scripture...and a thought came to me.

Translation of the scriptures is a continuing process. Let me explain.

Translate is defined in at least two ways:
1.To change text (of a book, document, Web site, movie, animation, video game etc.) from one language to another.

2. To change from one form or medium to another.

So as I sat and pondered I decided that when we read scripture and then ponder it we are literally translating it. We take the written or spoken work and then use the spirit to understand how the Lord would apply them in our life. Therefore we are changing words from one form into another.

When I stop to think about that process and how often it happens in my life I am in awe with the personal relationship that is available for me from our Father in Heaven.

This enlightenment makes me excited to study the gospel and connect with my Father through the spirit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always felt this is one of our gifts to us from Heavenly Father. I like what you said and how you said it. To have this gift to me makes me feel how powerful the gospel is, the gift of discernment and how intelligent our Father in Heaven is to create this process for us so we may grow closer to Him and become more like Him in that process.

EmmaP said...

I love this concept. I love how we can always learn more about the gospel and apply it our lives. Thanks for sharing!