Do you know what my biggest pet peeve is...I hate when other people lie. I don't like any lies but the lies I hate the most are the lies we tell to cover up something we know is wrong.
Like when someone tells their friend they are sick when really they just don't feel like doing something. This happens a lot in dating and relationships. And by that I mean A LOT. We fear that the truth will hurt to much...but the question is who does it hurt?
Because you see the lie that is told usually...eventually...gets revealed to the person it was told to. That whole tangled web idea. We don't lie to keep from hurting others...not most of the time. We lie to keep from being thought of as jerks.
So we lie to hide the fact that a feeling or thought we have will not be received well by someone else. We do it to keep up appearances...to save face...to keep an option open. Wow that seems like a lot of work for something that will eventually fall apart.
Here is the parable of the Muslin Dress:
Do you sew? My mom is an expert seamstress. I have spent more than my fair share of time in and around sewing projects. None of these projects were quite so detailed as my older sisters wedding dress. We went and bought fabric and ordered special lace and beads. I was so excited that I got to cut out the pattern pieces. Then instead of placing the pattern on the beautiful white fabric my mom pulled out the muslin...what is muslin?
Muslin is a cheap fabric to tell is simply. It is used for things you won't see. In this circumstance muslin was used to fit the dress. That way my mom could mark the muslin copy so that the REAL fabric could be saved for the finished product.
So after the pattern was fit and the dress sewn the real work started. What happened to the muslin dress you ask...who knows...it wasn't ever meant to be seen. But that REAL dress...you know I spent hours for months on that dress. I sewed thousands of beads and worked side by side my mom. The dress was perfect! The fitting of the muslin dress seemed so simple compared to the careful work on the REAL thing.
The REAL thing. That is what we forget sometimes as people. When you talk to someone, whether it be your best friend or your worst enemy it is a one shot deal. If in that moment you lie...then you can't take it back...you have lied...only mercy can save you now. So just a thought for those of us who are tempted to lie.
You don't sew beads on a muslin dress...don't say something out loud unless it is worth being on display.
Thursday, July 17, 2008
You don't sew beads on a muslin dress!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment